Please share with anyone you know who might be interested.
Church Administrative Assistant
Emmanuel United Methodist Church in Amherst, VA (“church”) seeks an energetic, personable, and reliable individual to assist the congregation and pastor with the basic administrative and communication needs of the church. Above average computer skills are preferred, including experience with Microsoft Office, Publisher, Outlook, and mastery of basic word processing functions. Knowledge of church related software, such as Power Church, will be helpful. Candidates should possess good interpersonal and organizational skills, and the ability to multi- task effectively. This is a part-time position of 12 to 20 hours per week. The workday and work hours are negotiable. The hourly wage will be commensurate with skills and experience. Interested persons may view the full job description on our church website
(www.emmanuelumchurch.org), or by contacting Mike Gamble, Emmanuel UMC’s SPPRC Chair at email@example.com, or by calling (434) 941-4034. Resumes may be emailed to Mr. Gamble or mailed to the church as follows: Emmanuel United Methodist Church, ATTN: Staff-Parish Relations Committee, c/o Mike Gamble, P.O. Box 451, Amherst, VA 24521.
The Administrative Assistant (“employee”) will work with the congregation and pastor to accomplish the basic clerical and communication needs of the church. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Respond to and manage telephone calls, phone messages, church emails and church mail in a timely manner.
- Under the direction of the pastor, assist with the preparation of weekly worship bulletins, announcements, and other administrative preparation for the worship service.
- Manage reservations for use of church property and accurately maintain and communicate the church calendar.
- Assist the church newsletter editor with the production and distribution of the monthly newsletter, –
- Monitor, manage and order supplies for the church office. Assist staff and ministry leaders with ordering supplies and resources for other church ministries upon request.
- Manage office equipment, supplies and updates for office machines and computers.
- Prepare and mail acknowledgements for memorial and non-member financial gifts to the church.
- Assist church leaders and church staff with administrative duties as needed, including posting volunteer lists, assisting with team communication, assisting with copies for committees and ministries, etc.
- Assist the Board of Trustees with scheduling the performance of regular church maintenance with various vendors (heating and air, mechanical and electrical, elevator, pest control, etc.) and with arranging building access during regular hours.
- Serve as the church membership secretary by maintaining and updating the membership database and assisting the pastor with new membership records, membership transfers, etc.
- Under the direction of the Finance Team Chair/Treasurer, manage church
bills/accounts payable, payroll and check generation/mailing/bill filing twice per month. Assist the Treasurer with church budget and financial matters of the church upon request.
- Assist the congregation and pastor as needed with other aspects of church ministry,
including but not limited to, assisting with church food pantry and church lawn sign.
The Administrative Assistant reports to the Pastor and to the Staff/Pastor/Parish Relations Committee (SPPRC).
The Administrative Assistant will receive two (2) weeks of paid vacation annually, scheduled in advance with the SPPRC Chair and the pastor. Additionally, normal holidays are observed including: New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Easter Monday, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. If the holiday falls on a normal day off, the next workday will be the holiday. Five (5) paid sick days/personal days are provided. Unused sick leave and personal days will not be accumulated from year to year. Personal days should be scheduled in advance when possible. Personal days may be used for any purpose so long as reasonable advance notice is given by the employee. Meal breaks should be taken outside of office hours. Breaks and snacks during work hours are permitted.
Duration of Employment
This will be an “at will” employment relationship, meaning either the church or the employee may terminate the employment at anytime with or without cause. The first six months of employment will be a probationary period to determine if the employee’s skills are commensurate with the requirements of the church for an administrative assistant.